E-ISSN 2149-9934
*
Perforation of the Gallbladder Due to a Swallowed Sewing Needle: Case Report
1 Department of Emergency Medicine, Bakırköy Dr. Sadi Konuk Training and Research Hospital, İstanbul, Turkey  
2 Department of General Surgery, Kars State Hospital, Kars, Turkey  
3 Department of Anesthesia and Reanimation, Kars State Hospital, Kars, Turkey  
JEMCR 2017; 8: 7-9
DOI: 10.5152/jemcr.2016.1158
This article was viewed 577 times, downloaded 276 times

Key Words: Foreign bodies, gallbladder, perforation, sewing needle
Abstract

Introduction: Ingestion of foreign bodies is a common problem, particularly among the elderly, pediatric, and psychiatric populations. Most of the foreign bodies pass spontaneously and uneventfully within a week. Perforation of the gallbladder by an ingested sewing needle is extremely rare, and a single case has been reported in the literature.

 

Case Report: We report a rare case of 30-year-old woman who accidentally ingested a sewing needle, which silently perforated the stomach and migrated to the gallbladder.

 

Conclusion: For foreign bodies in the stomach and duodenum, the general management is usually conservative. In situations such as those in our presented case, if there is a history of foreign body ingestion and failure of its progress as well as the presence of acute abdomen, there may be an indication for surgery.

Key Words
Authors
All
Author’s Corner
Reviewer's Corner
Survey
AVES | Copyright © 2017 Emergency Medicine Physicians Association of Turkey | Latest Update: 28.06.2017